It would come as no surprise to anyone who is an avid follower of greyhound racing, to see master Richmond Vale mentor Jason Mackay with five runners in tomorrow night’s Group Two Multicam Black Top final at Unibet Gardens.
Mackay’s charges dominated all five heats conducted last Saturday by claiming; three wins and two seconds along with a near record performance by Mackay’s 400m star; Maximus Danger, who clocked 22.36 over the short distance.
In a stunning final, just three starters from outside Mackay’s kennel will aim to beat the odds and take out the $40,000 to the winner event tonight.
Group Two Multicam Black Top
1. Zipping April (Jason Mackay) - began poorly last week and made her way through the field to second before being run down by the extremely strong Amadeus Strikes. Will need to begin like she can and use the coveted red rug to her advantage. Has a speedy pb of 29.69 and has won two of her four starts at this track and distance from just four attempts.
2. Billy Buzzard (David Richardson) – caused the biggest upset last week, defeating heavy favourite Zipping Willow in a flying 29.61. Has won four from five at this track and distance and can give this a real shake.
3. Electro Storm (Majella Ferguson) – equally took time honours last week in a heavily contented affair clocking a blistering 29.49. After a running battle with Zipping Summah, the speedy chaser was just nudged out and will prove one of the dangers yet again.
4. Zipping Willow (Jason Mackay) – loves this track and suffered her first defeat at this distance last week at the hands of Billy Buzzard. Has got genuine early pace and will need to use it from this tricky draw with a speedy beginner of her inside. Has a scorching pb of 29.33.
5. Tricky Terry (Jason Mackay) – made his debut at the track last week in impressive fashion, scoring comprehensively in a flying 29.57. Has drawn awkwardly yet again, however did exit from box six last week and can be a surprise packet.
6. Zipping Joe (Jason Mackay) – looking for his third consecutive win after a solid performance last week in 29.94. After beginning average, the talented offspring of Or Catra motored home to book his place in the final and can improve on this time and be competitive.
7. Zipping Summah (Jason Mackay) – provided an exciting battle during last week’s heats with Electro Storm and just getting the nudge on the line in the best of the night 29.49. Has good early pace and should get a good run across and can really test this field.
8. Amadeus Strikes (Steven White) – absolutely on fire at present and showed why again last week, storming home to clock a sizzling 29.58 from box four. Will use this wide draw to perfection and look for her at the finish to upset the Mackay show.
The Saturday twilight program will also be highlighted by the John Sweet Memorial, dedicated to the much-loved trainer who was a prominent figure at Unitbet Gardens, along with The ‘Macca’, consolation to the Black Top and named after the Hunter Valley’s most prestigious commentator; John McDermott.
The Black Top will be run at 6.38pm.