Bate Eyes Off State Sprint Champs
Written By Kevin Pitstock Tuesday 5th August 2008
Iconic 12-time Victorian Trainer of the Year Graeme Bate has a four-pronged attack in the National Sprint Championship state heats (515m) at Sandown Park on Thursday night.
The Lara-based doyenâ€™s line-up is Keeko Bale (Heat 1, Box 3), Velocette (Heat 2, Box 3), Turanza Bale (Heat 3, Box 4) and Beware (Heat 4, Box 5).
It has been seven years since Bate has basked in national glory.
Back in 2001, Bate won the NSC grand final (conducted at The Meadows) with Henerik Bale. Carlisle Jack (2002 Victorian Greyhound of the Year) made it a Victorian quinella.
Bate is one of eight trainers with 20 of this yearâ€™s 32 Victorian aspirants.
The others are :
- Tina Womann (Lara) â€“ Wavecatcher (Heat 1, Box 7), Trew Millions (Heat 2, Box 5) and North Sea (Heat 3, Box 5)
- Stan Ralph (Tooradin) â€“ Violet Crumble (Heat 2, Box 4), Jeddy Boy (Heat 3, Box 1) and Kelandy (Heat 4, Box 1)
- Andrea Dailly (Anakie) â€“ Atlantic Bale (Heat 2, Box 6) and Ashby Bale (Heat 4, Box 7)
- Angela Langton (Anakie) â€“ Que Sera Sera (Heat 1, Box 6) and Lynleaâ€™s King (Heat 3, Box 3)
- Carolyn Jones (Sale) â€“ Morgan Bros (Heat 1, Box 5) and Make The Magic (Heat 3, Box 2)
- Dominic Crisafi (Officer) â€“ Summer Grace (Heat 1, Box 8) and Paragon Patch (Heat 3, Box 7)
- Robert Britton (Lara) â€“ Tasman Queen (Heat 3, Box 6) and One Tree Hill (Heat 4, Box 8)
- Ian and Lisa Cockerell have Bliksem (Heat 4, Box 2) and Finlandia (Heat 1, Box 4)
The $10,000-to-the-winner NSC state final will be held at Sandown Park on August 14.
First and second in the state qualifier will progress to the $50,000-to-the-winner NSC grand final (520m), to be held at Wentworth Park in Sydney on August 30.
Since its inception in 1965, Victoria has won 11 national titles â€“ Kintaâ€™s Son (1966), Princess Kerry (1968), Regal Hermes (1970), New Mariner (1973), Temlee (1974), Bowetzel (1977), Mr. Slick (1992), Shayneâ€™s Champ (1996), Henerik Bale (2001), In The Frame (2002) and Pure Octane (2005).